View Single Post
Old 06-09-11, 07:45 AM
oldacura

Bikes: 1998 Co-Motion Co-Pilot, 2015 Calfee Tetra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks for the info. I have since browsed more on this forum and found some of the info I requested. I also looked at the motors on eBay and they appear to be all from China. I work for an American manufacturer and would prefer to keep my money in the US if it is close.

I would think the farthest I would want to go on a charge would be 20 miles. However, I'm assuming that some of that energy would come from me (right?). If I could cruise at 20 - 25 mph, that should be OK.

If I assume that I can produce 200 watts on my own and want the motor to replace that, maybe a 250 watt motor (?). Also, I assume that a higher voltage motor would allow me to cruise at higher speeds.

I see that there are references to geared (planetary) and direct drive motors. I know that planetary gearheads can be pretty expensive (and heavy). Why would I want a geared motor?

If I put the batteries in panniers on a back rack, this should help cushion them from shock - correct?

I've since looked at Ebikekit.com and found there is a lot more info there.

By the way, I'm thinking this will be more of a toy for me rather than regular transportation.

Last edited by oldacura; 06-09-11 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Additional info