View Single Post
Old 06-10-11, 04:50 PM
BayAreaUser

Bikes: Caad 9.5, Madone 6 series, Speed Concept 7 series.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by achoo
This isn't drama. This is like a Thalidomide baby trying to play baseball.
Fair enough, but yet I fail to see pictures of Soul wheels posted here, which deviate from the goal of that thread. I did not bother reading all 11 pages, but seems the OP respects that, so that point is moot.

Why did I get 2.0 rims and have just ordered c6.0s?

I got the 2.0s because, at that price range, I could not find something that was lighter. I can't climb, so every gram counts when it comes down to lugging my 155lbs fat ass up different bay area climbs. Undoubtedly, some issues arise when buying from a foreign company/builder. However, I was willing to assume them and view them as reasonable risk.
So far, I've not had an issue. The wheels have proven to be very durable and perform better than I could have anticipated.
If i need another set of aluminum clinches, the 2.0s would be it from now on (unless I do a custom build). They are light, out-roll other deeper wheels i've tried and are reasonably priced.

In other words, to me, they are simply a great bang for the buck. I could not be happier.

Why am i getting the C6s? I've done a few triathlons and have found them to be my new passion. I enjoy cycling, but I enjoy the challenge of combining all 3 sports. Currently, I have to borrow deep wheels and/or disc covers every time I compete. I have a couple more tris lined up and a half iron man down in South America in 6 months.

To me, the C6s are a great compromise in price, weight and -although not proven aerodynamics as you define it- reasonable belief that they would be faster than the 2.0s and close enough other popular deep wheels. I'm not expecting them to outperform the new zipp 404s, just that they- based on common generalizations- perform better than what I currently have.
If the 2.0s are any indication of what is to come, I am certain I will be pleased.

Would I pay an additional $1k-1.5k for wheels that had "testing" figures proving they are the "fastest" under certain conditions? Maybe if i had a lot of disposable income. As a grad student, that is not the case.

Am I a sucker? Perhaps. but I will be a sucker with $1k left in my pocket and a significant improvement over my current set up... Most importantly, I will stop annoying my dear friends two weeks before every competition.

Cliffs: Why did i buy Soul wheels, because to me they are worth it!

Last edited by BayAreaUser; 06-10-11 at 04:56 PM.