Old 06-19-05, 10:50 PM
av8or

Bikes: Several Treks and one IronHorse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Numb feet, any ideas?

Can someone please enlighten me as to why my feet go numb when I am cycling? The feeling is basically identical to what it feels like if you have your legs crossed for too long and restrict the circulation to one foot causing it to "fall asleep." The difference here is that I am having this sensation in both feet. I try to ride a 40 mile (64 Kilometer) circuit at least 3 times each week. I never had this problem in previous years but this year I had it the very first time out last April. For the first few weeks I simply attributed this to not being used to riding since I take a cycling sabbatical during the cold weather. This feeling starts to become noticeable after about 15 miles and after 20 miles my feet will be so numb that I have to get off the bike and walk around to get them feeling normal again. Once I resume my ride this numbness is quick to return and I find myself stopping again after just 7 miles (11 kilometers) or less.

I had theorized that maybe the bike saddle was restricting my circulation to my feet so I tried a couple of different saddles that I have had on other bikes, but that didn't help. In addition nothing has really changed from previous years to this year. I haven't changed my diet, I have the same bike, same shoes, even the same attire since I never bought any new cycling clothing this year yet.

Anyone else ever had a similar problem or have any ideas how I can eliminate it?

TIA