Old 06-13-11, 07:10 PM
Gary Fountain

Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 124 Posts
I'm an old school teacher of art and sometimes a student would want a similar effect. We found the most consistent method of achieving a splatter was an old toothbrush dipped in paint then holding the toothbrush in one hand, with the bristles facing upwards, flick the bristles with an index fingernail of the opposite hand.

Having painted a number of bike frames I would say that one of your biggest hurdles would be the roundness of the tubes and the complex intersection of tubes at the lugs. It would be very easy to get runs on the tubes if the paint didn't hit the tube square on and over splattering tubes at the lugs. The paint would have to have a bit of 'thickness' to help hold it's round form.

I think a test run to develop your technique would be important. Turning the frame constantly would be needed to help avoid runs and perhaps doing it in sections to allow the paint to go off before starting a new section would be important also. Got any old and unwanted bikes laying around?

I also think achieving a good result would mean much time devoted to the task.