View Single Post
Old 06-14-11, 09:30 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by mtalinm
although I've lost a lot of weight cycling, I think my progress is slower than it could be because I get So Darn Hungry AFTER riding.

that's the weird thing. Even on a metric century or longer I'm fine with the sort of food described in this forum and elsewhere, but a few hours later and often through the following day I'm Really Hungry.

Even following my commute (13m each way) I get the hunger pangs in the evening.

Eating lots of carbs usually does the trick, but then that can easily be hundreds of calories. Strangely, lots of protein doesn't help as much.

what do you do after riding to avoid the munchies?
Eat, wait, and eat more if I'm still hungry.

I commute 12 miles each way at varying paces, averaging about 900 kilojoules round trip which is about 900 Calories, get hungrier, and may eat an extra 500 Calories on days when I ride. Doing that 4 days a week still nets a 6400 Calorie/month deficit which is good for about 2 pounds with no other changes. 2 pound/month is still about 25 pounds a year.

I didn't mind the few years it took to grow to Clydestale size and don't mind a couple of years shrinking back to normal.

I'm less hungry on easy days which may make for a bigger Calorie deficit, but doing that all the time wouldn't make me faster or be nearly as much fun.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 06-14-11 at 09:37 PM.