View Single Post
Old 06-16-11, 05:34 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1380 Post(s)
Liked 1,768 Times in 948 Posts
You're joking, right? You're not actually throwing away functional, reasonable quality gear, right? I mean, around here, if it's not mountain bike crap it's rare as hell.
I cannot sell everything I get since shipping costs from my location often kills interest. With that in mind, bicycle stuff will just continue to pile up, and up, and up. Needless to say, I do not pitch quality gear, only entry level and/or damaged stuff, be it mechanical or cosmetic in nature.

If you think this is an issue, you should see how many complete bikes I leave at the Dump. Honestly, for every one I bring take, two more are left for the metal monster to crush, gobble up and dispose of...

All that said, I have and/or help to salvage close to 5000 bicycles in the past ten years. 500 were mine and the rest were for Bicycles for Humanity. Now, consider how much junk one collects when dealing with 5000 old bicycles and perhaps you will understand why piles of bikes and parts like this are sold to the scrap metal dealer several times a year...

And, every so often, I get a truck load of bikes, such as the one pictured. Imagine how fast stuff piles up when you get incoming loads like this...

All that said, I just might try using a Bio-pace ring set. I have a very bad right knee (42 stitches to put it back together) and had to give up my Single Speeds. The knee was getting hurt every ride on the bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Fort_Francais_165_9.jpg (102.4 KB, 31 views)
H_June_2_StripPile_6.jpg (107.3 KB, 24 views)
H_June_2_StripPile_4.jpg (106.4 KB, 23 views)
Fort_Francais_165_3.jpg (104.9 KB, 29 views)
B4H_Dump_New_3.jpg (104.7 KB, 31 views)
H_June_2_StripKids_1.jpg (107.1 KB, 23 views)