Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by teresamichele
Did people make rude, but well-meaning comments when you were starting? Did they stop as you stuck with it?
I can laugh at this story...now. But friends and I joke about it all the time.

My good friend and I something mountain bike together Friday mornings. I am a very experienced rider even on the mountain bike. Unfortunately 5 years ago, got cancer, had surgery, gained weight and slowed down a bit.

So I show up for the ride and my friend is there with two ladies she met online. Both were strong but inexperienced riders. Both weighed barely 120 lbs. So as we "fluffy" folks know, no matter how hard we pushed, we can't climb as fast as skinny people - pure physics - can't be done. My friend, who is also a light weight, knows this and she just keeps going 'cause i can catch her downhill (advantage of being bigger).

Anyway, the 4 of us do this particularly, long, difficult climb and I am last. As I reach the top one of the little skinny ladies says "OH. GOOD JOB! YOU DID SO WELL!!!!" The other says "WOW!!! KEEP IT UP!!! AWESOME!!!!!".

Remember I have been riding around 40 years - them 6 months. "Uh OK I just climbed the same hill as you. I'm bigger thus slower. I don't need encouragement but whatever" (I say this to myself). After the third tough hill and the third "GOOD JOB!!! YOU DID SO WELL. AWESOME!!!!!!!!" I gave my friend "stink eye". She got my drift and says to the skinny ladies "We'll just keep riding, Pam will catch up to us."

I was now climbing happily to myself and did not have to face those annoying words of discouragement until one the ladies got tired and turn around and as I was passing her coming down and I up, she yelled "GOOD JOB...keep it up..." Mood ruined again!

Anyway I easily catch up to the other two at the turnaround. Coming down a fairly technical descent, the skinny lady crashed and fell.... This is evil I know, but as I by I said "OH! GOOD TRY. NEXT TIME!!!" I never looked back. And to this day I hate the word AWESOME!!!!!

The point of the long story - doesn't matter what anyone else says or thinks - what matters is what you are doing. Always do your ride, your way and be proud of your accomplishments. People who would make snide, petty comments are ignorant and stupid.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

Last edited by Pamestique; 06-16-11 at 01:48 PM.