Old 06-16-11, 02:17 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 646 Times in 438 Posts
saw the Raleigh Record Ace in Velo Pro here Goleta (they prolly have them in SB also...)
very nice looking bike with an excellent mix of components.
the Geometry looks very traditional Raleigh road race - square, with updates to account for new style components/drive train.

But 520 tubing is not gonna be the latest and greatest - not even close, same, same for the Masi with 525.
and is gonna be more 'traditional' in overall weight - prolly 20.5 to 21-ish lbs for a 56 cm.
I would opt for a 853/953 frame and then build it up, and maybe get below 19 lbs.

The Bianchi Vigorelli seems old school Italian road race DIMS - nice! and with 631, it's definitely a major step up in Frame. Prolly come close to the Raleigh in weight (but still a bit lighter...) because the components are 105 and so a bit heavier than ultegra.

I really liked the 'look' of the Raleigh, even though the frame is mass produced and not really finished by 'hand'. But I would prolly opt for the better frame, 631, and 'under-square' DIMS of the Bianchi.
Steel forks are 'kool', but real-world riding - the crapon fork wins hands down...
The Shimano WH-R500 are good solid wheels and make a great training, day use wheelset (I have a set and really like them...).
Bianchi also seems to have rack bosses on the seat stays, a nice touch for a multi-day, sag supported bimble.
Shimano 105 doesn't bother me, and would do great service until such time as upgrade itch hits... which it always does...
Masi Gran Crit - duke out with the Raleigh...
prolly all nice riding bikes
I'd almost never opt for a Bianchi, except in this case... nice, modern real world machine