View Single Post
Old 06-17-11, 11:12 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by bluefoxicy
I need a day or so off of it or I start sleeping for 12 hours trying to recover.
You're still fairly new, aren't you?

When I first started, for several months cycling left me feeling worn out rather than invigorated. Sleeping 12 hours a day was pretty typical for me during that time.

Near as I can tell, my body was hard at work adapting and adjusting to performing tasks it hadn't been required to perform since 35 years ago. There's a lot more to it than just adding a few muscle cells here and there in the legs. For instance, it starts with building capillaries to service those muscle cells, bring in the construction materials and fuel, and carry out the waste.

Six years ago, 50-60 miles a week including weekend rides was all I could manage. And barely that. I slept most of the rest of the time.

These days, that same 50-60 miles a week is my minimum requirement to feel good. I actually changed job locations so I could do that with only commuting in the winter.

I feel best after a brisk 20 miles to work (twice this week) or about half that on the hilly route (also twice this week, and with full panniers on Monday), working all day, then hammering home for dinner. And I'm back to a more normal sleep requirement.

I couldn't imagine that sort of thing seven years ago, let alone during the first few months six years ago.