View Single Post
Old 06-20-11, 04:45 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
gbiker, I have a Secteur triple that came with that same tire. I think the tire is mostly fine for general use unless there are special conditions where you ride. I still have that tire on the front and have ridden it 3500 miles with little sign of wear and will get another 1500 miles out of it. By the way, I'm 170# and all flats have been on the rear tire. The special conditions here are clam shell shards on the bike path. Sea gulls will fly 30 feet above the pavement, then drop the clams to split open the shells. Those shards are razor sharp. My latest tactic is to install a Specialized Roubaix tire on the back that has thicker rubber and I'm happy with it so far.

I picked up a tire tip from an online pro blog that I believe helps also. That pro would inspect his tires very often by letting most or the air out, then going over them by inch by inch while pinching them to open and make visible otherwise invisible cuts. I'm finding tiny pieces of glass that will eventually work in to the tube. I'm convinced I've avoided some flats by doing this. Other than this, tire liners or thicker tubes will no doubt help also.