Old 06-20-11, 10:20 AM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
I've read numerous reports which state you can run 10s Campy ergo with 9s Shimano by simply attaching cable according to the attached picture below, taken from this article:

http://www.hubbubcustom.com/articles_ergopower.html

I believe the cable attachment trick will work, since it increases radius and reduces derailleur movement over standard cable attachment.

I am unaware of successful 11s Campy/9s Shimano combinations, but then there's a lot things I don't know. It does seem like it should work. OP, I suggest you spend some time googling or over at the roadie forum for better information.

In addition to the cable trick, you can use a J-Tek adapter for many combinations:

http://jtekengineering.com/shiftmate.htm

I've used 10s Campy Veloce Ultrashift with Shimano 3x9s drivetrain for a couple years now, using a #2 J-Tek adapter. I was unaware of the cable attachment trick at the time I purchased the adapter and built the bike. I might take the adapter off at some point and use the simpler cable attachment trick.

The 10s Ultrashift/9s Shimano shifting works perfectly (in the rear) in my experience. However, the triple front derailleur compatibility is another story. The 10s Ultrashift doesn't have an adequate shifting range in the front (campy spacing is narrower). Mated to an LX f der, it's about 1mm shy of having adequate range. It's needs to pull about 1-2mm more cable than it actually will pull. With Shimano brifters/shifters you have a slight excess of pull which you can limit with screws. To get the Ultrashift working with LX, I had to bend the derailleur cage slightly. Works but not pretty or ideal. I've thought of modifying the cable attachment to the front derailleur to reduce radius/increase derailleur movement, but this would involve some material removal via filing, and possibly ruining a derailleur, so I haven't proceeded with this idea yet.

As far as having "too many clicks/ghost stops", this doesn't actually occur - the limit screws lock you out of the extra click.

The reason I mated 10s Ultrashifter to Shimano 9 speed was simple. I wanted brifters, and I preferred the feel (and cable routing) of Campy over Shimano STI, and I knew the J-Tek adapter would work. But the real incentive was cost. The cheapest STI brifters at the time were Tiagra @ ~$200, or 105s @ ~$250, plus another ten bucks for shipping. I found Veloce Ultrashifters with a full cable/housing kit for $135, which included shipping. I already had an extensive collection of Shimano 9s drivetrain parts. So, that's how I got there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
ergolever_xtergo.jpg (30.4 KB, 64 views)