Old 06-20-11, 02:54 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by kiwigem
Doohickie, you have a fair point. They don't specify, but I do know the area of town, and it is a major thoroughfare where attempting to squeeze to the side isn't really an option on most stretches. Imagine a four lane road lined with strip malls and you'll get the idea. I applaud everyone who does brave the VC world as I view all of them as intrepid pioneers for the rest of us who are too afraid of drivers' ineptitude. This is our town's second fatality (that I know of) in just a few months, and while we can't be sure about the cyclist in this circumstance, the last was a daily commuter practically dressed in reflective tape and doing everything right. Around here, people get bullied for claiming the lane.
I guess I need to count my blessings. I can get around town pretty well without riding on the major arterials for the most part. My 17 mile commute only has about 4 blocks worth busy roads. I usually try to avoid the busier streets, but on the occasions where I have used them, I get pretty decent consideration from drivers, with only a couple close calls. Around here I do see people on the major roads riding up against the curb; it just makes me cringe. If a rider is not up to taking the lane, perhaps the sidewalk is a safer place, but then there is the danger of motor traffic turning across the sidewalk. I think every city has its own "feel" or "norms" with regard to bikes. I rode in Arlington, VA, and Washington, DC, for the first time last week and it was definitely different that it is here in Fort Worth.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."