View Single Post
Old 06-20-11, 06:08 PM
JusticeZero
Rider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Rode out to Bywater and back for some barbecue at what is maybe the best barbecue in the city.. I haven't seen anything close in any case. It's about 5 miles each way, according to Google. Props to The Joint for awesome food, happy fathers day to me.

I posted about the shifter in mechanics, but everything looks seated and in the correct place. The theory of 'wrong part inside the hub' is looking very possible.. how would that happen?

My first gear is 'hold the shifter all the way toward first, and if is shifts into second, let it slack for a moment'. Second gear is 'Hold the twist shifter halfway between first and second'. I'm gaining appreciation for thumb friction shifters, which would let me refit bigger grips, too.

The ride actually was pretty comfortable despite that. I even managed to run in third for a bit, which might lend some credence to the idea that a heavy bike doesn't much affect your top speed so much as your acceleration. Comfortable, and I don't bang the kickstand much anymore, even if i'm not sure why. The steering is actually quite comfortable and gentle despite what might have been implied. You just can't let go of it for a moment. Harder to keep on a straight line, maybe because I can't see the front wheel.

The saddle.. well, I can't rave about the saddle, but it was a lot more comfortable than i'd have expected from it by looking at it. I'm not sure offhand what the make of it is. I'd have expected a wide saddle of that type to get a bit annoying after a couple miles, but by and large, I haven't really noticed it. It does tend to squeak because of the springs when i'm spinning hard.

Along the way back, one of the the resin safety pedals *shattered*. On examination, the other one is coming apart.
Total mileage: About 40 miles of spinning.
This is "American Quality"? Viva la Asia! Folks, this is why the East is stomping us economically.

One other thing: Remember when you were a kid and had a bike, and they kept the brake and shifter pedals held to the frame with things like hose clamps and zip ties? Clearly, Worksman remembers those times. The shifter cable is guided along the frame with a black zip tie. A zip tie?! Folks, I know you believe in the classics, but there's this great brazing technique these days that's all the rage to put guides along frame pieces.. I mean even Pacific Cycles is doing it these days..

Also: I'm really getting a lot of use out of the stepthrough in the frame. A cargo bike, loaded, is a lot more annoying to tilt to kick over than the usual bicycle. A cycle truck keeps it's load much higher than an Extracycle; this is good for stability when moving, but bad when you're at rest swinging it around. If you plan to get a front loader, spring for the stepthrough frame, you'll thank me for it later.

Last edited by JusticeZero; 06-20-11 at 06:20 PM.