Old 06-20-11, 11:10 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
This conversation is an aside to the larger one...

This "bike paths will not go everywhere" argument is completely false. Did you read the post you responded to? "It works fine in slow moving residential areas, but not feeder and arterial roads." The writer of that post only needs bike paths for some roads.
Yes, I read the post. Part of the problem as I'm sure you know is that there are plenty of motorists out there who do not want us on "their" roads no matter how limited our access may be to those roads. I'm basing this on the fact that even when out riding when myself and only one car are the road that some drivers still feel the need to either honk their horns aggressively or buzz me as they pass me. I am also basing this on the shouts of "get on the sidewalk" by motorists again when we are the only traffic on the street.

So that any "road" system i.e. bike path setup just for bicycles would have to go "everywhere." If for no other reason than to appease the motorists.

Freeways don't "go everywhere," and yet they seem to work fairly well for the motoring public. Why cannot a similar structure also work for cyclists... such that cyclists and motorists don't have to mix on feeder and arterial roads?
No, they don't, but with surface roads do they really need to go "everywhere?" I agree that some roads could (should) probably be set aside as bike only or even an entire network be built and set aside for just bicycles. An infrastructure that bypasses feeder and arterial roads. As well as a lowering of the speed on the rest of the roads.

Of course the other solution is to stop designing feeder and arterial roads to look and act like freeways. Either solution works.
This is very true.

BTW the trail you are ranting about is likely designed by a Parks Department, for recreational weekend cyclists... not a traffic engineer, trying to design a transportation system.
I believe that it is/was, as it is only "open" from sunrise to sunset. Although I have heard it referred to as an alternative to using the "regular roads" to get around. The problem is that if it's only available from sunrise to sunset than how are people suppose to use it as an alternative to sharing the road with motor vehicle traffic?

Also will this dedicated bike path be a totally dedicated bike path, or will walkers, joggers, roller bladers, skateboarders, etc. be allowed access to it as well? Or will they have their own infrastructure?