Old 06-21-11, 01:43 AM
Stubby

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital_Cowboy
If I understand the videos correctly, each segment of traffic i.e. bicycles, cars, and pedestrian get their own traffic lights and cycles. With bicycles apparently getting their own path through and around the intersection.

Question, what if a cyclist wishes to make a left turn as a vehicle instead of taking the "long way" around the intersection?

Also are pedestrians, skateboarders, roller bladers, etc. allowed to access the bike lane/path? Also one very real problem that I can see with that kind of a setup here in the states is that we have WAY too many drivers who are driving distracted for whatever reason, or who jump red lights, or who flat out run red lights. Or who because they're distracted by their cell phones fail to take off when the light turns green.

I was stuck behind such a driver today when I was out riding today. S/he was sitting at the red light either talking or texting the light turns green and they're still sitting there with several of us sitting behind them waiting for them to get their head out of their fourth point of contact and get moving again.
As for taking a left turn on the street the answer would be no, at least with the Dutch, but why would anyone want to. With a well thought out cycle track that avoids just about every serious car/bike interaction only the most macho of cyclist would care to ride on the street. As the video shows the lights are timed so there is little to no wait when making the second turn. Placing yourself out in the middle of traffic just doesn't make sense to theoretically save a few seconds.

I believe the Dutch cycle paths are bike only as pedestrians have their own walkway, but the paths here in Madison are mixed use, though the intersection I mentioned earlier cyclist and pedestrians each have their own crossing place. They have been around for some years and have been expanding as of late. Yes, there are pedestrians on the path but there are few problems as the public has simple gotten used to it. We've learned how to deal with each other. A bell goes a long way to making live easier for everyone. The only problem I've ever seen are with dogs and I think they should be banned from mixed use paths. Dogs and bikes just don't get along. At least in Madison roller blades are way out of style. I haven't seen one in a few years. The skate boarders have no interest in mixed use paths and I rarely see one.

Bad drivers are everywhere, and even bad bike users. I cringe every time I see some dumb cyclist riding at night without a light, and every time I see a car run a light. That's no excuse for not having good infrastructure.

Last edited by Stubby; 06-21-11 at 01:46 AM.