Old 06-23-11, 06:17 AM
JT Burkard

Bikes: BMW Cruise Bike, Specialized Hardrock, Fuji Sagres, Vintage Schwinn Hollywood

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Three weeks ago I did my first 13 mile ride with a group. This was the first real ride I took on my bike since last year. I thought it would kill me, and it did the next day. I was sore and felt like I coundn't move the next day. But the following day my body felt better then it did before I took the ride so I went back out and did 5 miles two days after that 13 mile ride. Now I ride every other day.

I usually do a 5 mile loops around my neighborhood. My wife is shot after 3 miles but pushes herself that last 2 miles with me. Its not easy and you will feel at times you do not see any changes with your efforts. KEEP GOING! I only lost 1 lb in 3 weeks but my eating has not been the best choices. The last week or so I have been really concentrating on what is going into my body. You don't have to just eat carrot sticks and cottage cheese, just make wise choices like no fried foods, and add quality proteins, high fiber and whole grains. If you eat out at a restaurant, take half of what you are eating and put it in a take out container. It is amazing how much food you get when you go out to eat compared to what the normal portion size should be.

Most importantly just keep going out on the bike. You may not feel like you are doing much in the few miles you are riding but your body is not used to it. Distance and speed come with time. People train to be able to ride 50-100 miles at a clip, they wen't able to do that easy the first time either. One last thing, if you feel like you are getting frustrated or losing the desire to go back out there, get on this site and let us know. This site has been a fantastic motivator for me and the people in the Clydes/Athenas area are wonderful folks who really support each other. You will achive your goal of a better you, and we will be here for the whole process.