Old 06-23-11, 08:25 AM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by adablduya
i do this myself. quite frankly, i can't think of a reason NOT to. i'm a believer in cooperating with motorists when possible; i don't take the full lane unless i NEED to, not simply because i'm entitled to it. also, positioning myself at an intersection such that cars can make a right on red, in my opinion, goes well in the direction of creating goodwill with motorists. why not do that when we can ? we're the ones who benefit ....
When it comes down to motorists and cyclists on the roadway, there's a fine line between cooperating and being submissive. Depending on the traffic conditions, I usually take the full lane every chance I can get, rather only when I need to.

I like taking the full lane since it keeps me out of the debris zone on the side of the road, has helped reduce motorists from squeezing by me at high speeds, with inches to spare, and all the motorists that I've encountered, seem to be better at knowing where the front of their vehicle is than the right side of their vehicle.

I cooperate with motorists on a daily basis, but only after I've weighed all my safety options first.