View Single Post
Old 06-23-11, 08:47 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by dynodonn
When it comes down to motorists and cyclists on the roadway, there's a fine line between cooperating and being submissive. Depending on the traffic conditions, I usually take the full lane every chance I can get, rather than only when I need to.

I like taking the full lane since it keeps me out of the debris zone on the side of the road, has helped reduce motorists from squeezing by me at high speeds, with inches to spare, and all the motorists that I've encountered, seem to be better at knowing where the front of their vehicle is than the right side of their vehicle.

I cooperate with motorists on a daily basis, but only after I've weighed all my safety options first.
^^^This. Another benefit of defaulting to the center of the lane is that it gives you and drivers better sight lines, enabling everyone to see each other sooner in many situations.

Oh, and DC you gave us plenty of details except for the most important one. Was she hot?