View Single Post
Old 06-23-11, 12:08 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dynodonn
When it comes down to motorists and cyclists on the roadway, there's a fine line between cooperating and being submissive. Depending on the traffic conditions, I usually take the full lane every chance I can get, rather only when I need to.
Agreed, and if we don't stand up for our rights, do we really have them? I agree with that as well. Usually I ride in the right hand i.e. passenger side tire track. I take the lane if it is a road with substandard width lane.

I like taking the full lane since it keeps me out of the debris zone on the side of the road, has helped reduce motorists from squeezing by me at high speeds, with inches to spare, and all the motorists that I've encountered, seem to be better at knowing where the front of their vehicle is than the right side of their vehicle.
Agreed, taking the lane or at least riding in the right side/passenger side tire track keeps one out of the debris zone on the side of the road. And as you noted it helps to reduce motorists from squeezing past us at high (or even low) speeds with inches (or less) to spare.

I cooperate with motorists on a daily basis, but only after I've weighed all my safety options first.
Agreed, our safety comes first and if by cooperating with motorists it puts our safety in danger than we don't need to cooperate with motorists, as our safety comes first.