View Single Post
Old 06-23-11, 10:28 PM
Wheelmonkey

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Nigeyy. I did get a longer stem. My LBS suggested that as well. But check this out...

I got a "Kalloy" brand adjustable stem and had my LBS put everything together for me. Initially, all seemed great, but I took it out for a spin and after about 15 mins. the stem started creaking and moving! It was moving at the hinge, like it was loose. I stopped and tried to tighten it, but that didn't help. I was close to the LBS so I took it by for them to analyze. The guy said he wasn't sure what was wrong with it, but could only guess it's a bad stem. He tried messing with it and adjusting it but he couldn't get it to stop doing that either. We decided that it isn't dangerous right now (it's not as if it's just going to fall off), so I'm going to ride around on it a bit and decide the positioning I like and then just order a non-adjustable stem according to what I want. I'll return the old one and get my money back (hopefully). I could probably get another adjustable, but just a different brand, but I'm just not feeling good about it now and I've got some big rides coming up so I don't want to risk another problem. Hopefully I can get my positioning all dialed in within a couple of days and then get what I need quickly.