View Single Post
Old 06-21-05, 04:59 PM
cjs1948

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cjscott
Anyone that has a Giant Revive notice a problem steering especially turning on the bike. I had this problem when I test rode, I liked the bike a lot but even the guy that worked there rode on it and said it had a strange feel when trying to turn, the bike would not turn, it was strange. My husband said the same thing. I was wondering if it was just something I would get used to. The person at the store said it functions like a motorcycle and you have to lean into the turn a little more. I didn't notice this on the couple recumbants we rode. I'm short 5 ft 1" and liked the feel of it, it fit me well but just had this strange steering problem. Thanks CJ
We had two Revives. You do get used to the steering. It exhibits what has been called flop because the angle of the steering head is steep--similar to a chopper motorcycle. The little spring that is between the fork and the frame is there to keep the fork stable when parked because of this. It is not an issue when riding where the bike is designed to be ridden--urban hard surfaces. It can be a problem in soft dirt/gravel because when turned the front tends to plow which, if not guarded against, can put you down. We rode ours everywhere including off-road trails without incident. We had trikes at the same time and preferred those so I sold the Revives. One was bought by a woman for her seventy-something mother and reported back that she loved it. I changed the gearing (since changed by the company) and installed better tires. If you like this bike, I recommend the one with the derailler--it's not only cheaper, the gearing has a much better range. (And no, you don't "lean" on this bike any more than any other bike. Get on it, peddle it, steer it--don't oversteer in slippery or soft conditions. Heavy, but nice ride.)

Chip
The Recumbent Trike Store
Denver, CO
303-618-5711