Old 06-25-11, 11:13 AM
GetUpnGo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
How to co-exist with road clubs that occupy more road real estate than necessary?

AMENDED TITLE: How to co-exist with road clubs that occupy more road real estate than necessary?

AMENDED POST:
Often on Saturday mornings I find myself driving behind a road club that rides double. Because of the winding road and hills, it can take several minutes before I have enough visibility to pass them. The don't seem to be aware of the traffic behind them, or perhaps they're just not concerned about it, I'm not sure which.

Last weekend there was a situation where half of the club was going east and the other half was going west. Traffic was backed up behind them in both directions.

As an almost daily cyclist, I try to share the road with cars. I ride to the right of the white shoulder line if the shoulder is paved and wide enough, and I pull off the road to accommodate cars rather than forcing them to follow me at low speed for several minutes. I'm happy to do that out of simple courtesy.

What is the thinking of a road club that rides like this habitually?

Aside from the obvious concerns of safety and the law, what is the proper etiquette for both drivers and cyclists to accommodate each other?

Thank you for your input.

Last edited by GetUpnGo; 06-25-11 at 04:26 PM.