View Single Post
Old 06-26-11, 07:14 PM
freighttraininguphill

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Went up to Auburn to explore a few climbs I haven't ridden yet. Rattlesnake Road was disappointingly easy, but there was a nice 14% private road off of Rattlesnake called Hayes Drive. It's short, but it's a good one:

Hayes Drive 14% grade by kittyz202, on Flickr

At the top of the Newcastle Road climb, I spotted three cyclists finishing their descent of Indian Hill Road. I noticed a Folsom Bike kit and a beard, and I thought "That must be JoelS". I bunny-hopped the curb and hauled ass over to the Valero just as they arrived. I yelled "Are you JoelS?" Right away he knew who I was, even though we've never actually met.

While one of the riders was in the store, JoelS and the other rider were nice enough to let me take this picture:

JoelS at Newcastle Valero 6-26-11 by kittyz202, on Flickr

Here's my video of Hayes Drive, the last part of Newcastle Road, and Crater Hill Road. JoelS makes his appearance at 2:45. I got dropped at Ophir Road, but it was fun while it lasted!

Garmin Connect data: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/95103145

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yzJFA6wsEg

After that I climbed Chili Hill, Crater Hill, Bald Hill, and Baxter Grade. By the time I got to Baxter it was getting hot, so it became a sufferfest.

I noticed my rear tire going soft on the gradual descent of Mt. Vernon Road. Luckily there was a nice shady private road to pull off onto, as there was no safe place to work on my bike on that part of Mt. Vernon.

The flat was caused by a tiny thorn that somehow made its way through the so-called flat resistant Specialized tire AND a Stop Flats tire liner. We have some tough thorns!

Here's some more pics:

Bottom of Rattlesnake Road at the north fork of the American River at Folsom Lake:

Crater Hill and Wise Roads:

fi'zi:k logo on Chili Hill Road (I already posted the one on Bald Hill Road back in April):

fi'zi:k logo on Chili Hill Road climb by kittyz202, on Flickr

What I hope to become some day when I lose the rest of this weight :

Last edited by freighttraininguphill; 06-27-11 at 10:49 AM. Reason: added Garmin data