Old 06-27-11, 03:35 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Ex mountain biker and I have always been considerate to other road users on the road. Cars and trucks are bigger than me and they hurt if you hit them. Over here most mountain bikers have the same opinion and single file on the roads is the norm for them. Roadies are different though. They realise they have a right to use the road and they seem to take advantage of it. Difference over here is that most road groups are only 4 to 8 riders so not a major problem. I have come across pace lines that are 10 riders and no problems- Basically single file and one rider dropping back to make a double line. Then there are the groups where they do take double file and I tried riding with one of these groups once. Bit larger with about 20 riders and they know their rights. They can ride double file and the cars have to take care--Except the bikes taking up a long length of road and no space to overtake a few and drop into a gap. Each bike pair is about 6ft behind the one in front so 10 pairs and that can be 100ft. Fine on a main road where you can see well ahead but twisty lanes and you are stuck behind them.

But the groups that really get me are the fit ones that race each other up the road. Cresting a hill and 3 riders will go for it. It is like one of the professional races at times- except you as a car driver are in the middle of it. And as a cyclist I realise that two riders racing close together and a wheel touch is a possibility. I stay well away from them but also try to get past them as soon as possible.

Cyclists are very vulnerable and they should realise this. But there will always be a bright spark that knows his rights and can cause a problem to other road users. Just hope they don't do it in front of me when I am driving

Spike Milligan