kyselad
extra bitter

Bikes: Miyata 210, Fuji Royale II, Bridgestone Kabuki, Miyata Ninety

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by hwdxbassist
Schwinn Madison 2008...is the best candidate for the job...
The Geometry of the frame makes it really comfortable yet very responsive.
I rode Fixed gear up and down the hills which made it easier then freewheeling it.
Not trying to be a jerk, but have you ever ridden a touring bike for comparison? And I'm unclear how riding fixed on hills is easier than a freewheel.

If the OP is really serious about touring, he should seriously consider a touring frame. Yes, the geometry of the LHT is much more touring-friendly than the steamroller -- Surly has detailed geometry specs on their site if you'd like to compare. While I agree there are fender and rack solutions for frames without eyelets/braze-ons, that's no reason to ignore how much easier they make life.

But again, it's a question of how serious you are about touring. For long, loaded tours, you'll be kicking yourself for going with an aggressive frame. But if you want your bike to multi-task as a commuter, club rider, or whatever else, a touring frame may be too sluggish for your tastes. Keep in mind that almost any bike will perform alright for short tours without tons of gear, and a lot of randonneurs prefer "sport touring" bikes.