Old 06-28-11, 01:30 PM
TheHen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
"And back" I'd consider inland, US 395,
East of the Cascades in OR, WA, presents an entirely different trip from the Coast.
I rode up this highway once many years ago. It was absolutely grand, although one would have to note where the food is actually available. One of my most distinct memories was stopping at a rest stop for the night just because I didn't feel like riding through the darkness. We had been enjoying a wonderful tailwind all day, but the next morning the wind shifted and remained a powerful north wind for the next several days. Since only one car went past us that night while we camped, I wish we had just taken advantage of the wind and ridden through the night. The moon was nearly full and I'm sure it would have been fun.

Somewhere along the way where there were some toothpicks they called trees that were being hauled by log trucks, we asked why the log truck drivers were so safe and courteous (we were used to a different approach on the coast). The people were shocked that anyone would expect otherwise from local family men. I like that sort of attitude. Hopefully it still exists.