Old 06-29-11, 07:52 PM
Ultraspontane
bedazzled fingernails

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SE Stout review

I picked this thing up about a month and a half ago and have put close to 900 miles on it since then.

I love this thing. There are a few components I might change, but this is the perfect bike for me. The cromoly frame and fork are waaaay overbuilt. The front fork spacing is 1mm wider than it needs to be, so I attempted to close the gap 0.5 on each side as per Shledon method by bending fork blades. They wouldn't budge no matter what. I tried levering it between wrought iron posts for extra leverage, standing on it, jumping, ect. It didn't budge even a fraction of a mm. I've done this before with relative ease on a few road bikes, but this one...impossible without a bench vise and breaker bar to slip over the blades for extra leverage. I love the frame with the looptail rear end and double wishbone stays.

As far as the ride, it feels really solid. Moreso than any other bike I've been on. Like an armored SUV barreling down the street. But it doesn't feel slow. I ride it around town every day for work, hit the dirt with it, ride down stairs, on and off curbs, and it hasn't given me any complaints yet.

The components are decent. The crankset feels good. Nice and solid. The stock saddle is actually satisfactory. The rims are holding up fine, but I'm not too crazy about the hubs. They are cone and cup with rubber dust covers that rub the side of the hub housing and seem to create lot of friction. I'll probably remove the dust covers. The brakes are basic tektro V-brakes. Nothing special, but they stop well enough.

I'm thinking of replacing the riser bars with some sort of dirt drop bar or mustache bar so I can have some more hand positions. If you have any recommendations, I'm all ears.

All things considered, it's a great bike. Especially for how affordable they are.

Here are some pics from when I first got it:

And this is how it is now with SKS fenders:

Last edited by Ultraspontane; 06-29-11 at 09:11 PM.