View Single Post
Old 06-30-11, 05:38 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 523 Posts
I resisted the movement to clipless pedals until this year, when i really needed to replace my old Avocet Touring shoes. I bought a pair of Bontrager Street shoes, since they had a recessed cleat and fairly smooth bottom, so that I could still use toe clips. At first I tried riding with toe clips but the shoe was a bit thicker and didn't fit very well. So I bought an inexpensive pair of pedals to test the waters, not knowing what to expect. I have to say, that I have been very pleased. Clipping in has been very easy, basically just step on the pedal and go. I have double sided pedals and the dust seal is snug so they don't flop around. Getting out takes a deliberate effort, but if you already uses toe clips, it is just a slight change to the movement that you already are used to. I took the experts advice and backed the tension off, and I don't see why I would want it any tighter. I have several degrees of float, but my foot is secure unless I make the extra effort to clip out. I haven't fallen over yet, and I am wondering if most of the people who do fall are going from having no restraint at all to clipless pedals. I put the pedals on my Miyata 310, but I will be investing in some more for my other bikes.