Old 07-01-11, 06:38 AM
on the path
Señor Blues

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 10, Breezer Venturi Custom Build, IRO Singlespeed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I'm on the local bike path several times per week. And though I am happy to share it with walkers, rollerbladers, etc., this particular path is called, in print, a bikeway or a bike trail. While on the bike path I've taken it upon myself to inform dog owners that their dog belongs on a leash if it isn't leased. None of my business? I disagree...

A few weeks ago I was riding the path solo as I usually do and prefer to do. A young man with a bike who was stopped on the path waved and urged me to stop. He had just been bitten several times by an unleashed dog. The skin on his leg was visibly broken. Also, while appearing somewhat calm, it was clear to me that this young man was scared. He was new to the area and was using the path to get from one major town to another.

Trying to make a long story short here... there was a town park near the incident and several workers had seen the dog (German Shepard, btw) and it's owner. While the owner may not have seen the incident, he knew something bad had happened and he made a swift exit from the area. I know because I rode back and forth on the path looking for the dog or owner, asking questions whenever I ran across another person. I got some help from park employees and local police were summoned. The police took the situation very seriously, but there was little that could be done if the owner couldn't be found. The poor young man probably had to go for rabies treatment. I and others urged him to seek medical attention.

I ended up staying with the situation for well over an hour. I eventually helped the young man get to where he could catch a bus. He said that he owed me, wanted to give me money etc. but I refused. I didn't mind helping somebody who was in need.

I will continue to chide irresponsible animal owners in an area where I and others are vulnerable. It has become my business.