Old 07-01-11, 12:51 PM
Robv2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not making excuses for not doing the miles. I started with a plan in place to reach my goal, 25 miles twice a week, adding 10% every week, currently up to 48 x2. As far as bar ends being unnecessary for completing a century, while true, doesn't change the fact they are probably one of the most recommended items ( including this forum ) for someone looking at doing distant on a hybrid. I could probably struggle my way thru a 62 mile ride tomorrow if I had to but it wouldn't be as easy, injury free or as fun as it would be working up to that goal. Heck, 20 years ago I did a lot of long distance bike touring involving week long rides on a cheesy Schwin Letour, up until I was involved in a hit-run. Now my back just can't handle being stooped over on a road bike which is why I had to go with a hybrid.
You're absolutely right I didn't bother to read the Trek FAQ stating bar ends were incompatible with the FX but I also didn't bother to check their FAQ to see if perhaps the pedals were welded on, preventing me from switching pedals if desired because there was no reason to believe it would be an issue. Get my point? Which by the way would have been moot if Trek had followed thru an released compatible bar ends as they previously said they would.

BTW I do appreciate your blog post regarding the issue, I just wish I would have seen it earlier.