Old 10-16-02, 01:16 PM
a2psyklnut

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I personally like Specialized bikes. The FSR Horst linkage is one of the best designs I've ridden. Granted, I haven't tried the Epic with the Smart Shock, and have yet to try one of the new VPP bikes.

The other thing you've mentioned, but I'm asking for a bit more info is the style of riding you do. You stated XC, but is that racing, or just riding around, short rides, long rides, small drops, technical, lots of climbing ...etc.? That sort of stuff.

With the budget you've mentioned, forget the Titus and the Santa Cruz, you'll end up with Deore level components for $2,000. Heck, you might be lucky to get a frame, fork and wheelset for $2000. I think a Blur frame is about $1,300 and a Titus Racer is about $1,700.

For your budget, you can get into an Epic, base model has a MSRP of $2050, or a Stumpjumper FSR XC for around $1650. The FSR XC is a great all around bike for about 90% of the type riding most people do. If you're a big rider like me, (I go about 225-230) you'd be better off on an Enduro or a BigHit. But if you're lightweight (what I would consider - sub 200) this is a great bike!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!" - unknown
"Your Bike Sucks" - Sky Yaeger