Old 07-03-11, 02:58 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Six jours
It's a typical SoCal two laner in the mountains. I haven't measured it. There's enough room that non-A&S cyclists are comfortable riding the shoulder and being passed by cars. The road surface varies from year to year, but is rarely perfect anywhere. There are, for practical purposes, no intersections or driveways. Sightlines suck, which is one of the reasons the motorcyclists are constantly getting themselves killed there. I don't know what "FRAP" means. It's been about two months since I was last there.
FRAP=As Far Right As Practicable. Are you sure that they "feel comfortable" with the road position that has been "forced" on them by rude/inconsiderate motorists? If the road, and it's sight lines are as bad as you claim that the safest (being as that is one of your alleged concerns) place for cyclists is to take the lane so that motorists coming up behind them can see them and know that they are there. Doesn't that make sense?

And it's obvious that the cyclist's decisions are always made by the cyclist. The question is whether that cyclist's decisions are any good.
The flip side to that question is that "It's obvious that the MOTORISTS decisions are always made by the MOTORIST, the question is whether that MOTORISTS decisions are any good.

I don't know what you are trying to say with your last line, other than that I'm not invited to your daughter's wedding.The road is steeply uphill. Cyclists ride up steep hills slowly. And as a former Lycra-clad prettyboy I'm qualified to speak about it.
It seemed pretty clear to me, sorry if you're having a hard time understanding it.

Beyond that, I'll just note - again - the tendency of A&Sers to take a simple concept (going really slow in front of other road users is rude) and clutter it up with as much nonsense and double-speak as possible in trying to prove that rude isn't rude, as long as it's a cyclist doing it.
So I guess using your standard of what is and isn't "rude" that an Amish person in Amish country driving their horse and buggy down the road is also being "rude" because they are slowing up traffic behind them.