Old 07-04-11, 10:41 AM
Six jours

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital_Cowboy
FRAP=As Far Right As Practicable. Are you sure that they "feel comfortable" with the road position that has been "forced" on them by rude/inconsiderate motorists? If the road, and it's sight lines are as bad as you claim that the safest (being as that is one of your alleged concerns) place for cyclists is to take the lane so that motorists coming up behind them can see them and know that they are there. Doesn't that make sense?
I haven't ridden with every cyclist who has ever gone up Angeles Crest, but the hundreds that I have know have never expressed discomfort with it. The great majority, I am sure, would think ludicrous the idea that they should ride in the middle of that road. It's unbelievable to me that someone would argue poor sightlines - IOW, cliffs that block a motorists' view of the exit to a corner - justify someone riding in the middle of the road. I mean, think about it: a driver comes around a corner with the assumption, rather than the knowledge, that the road in front of him will be clear, and you want us to put a near-stationary cyclist in the middle of that road? It's insane.

Originally Posted by Digital_Cowboy
So I guess using your standard of what is and isn't "rude" that an Amish person in Amish country driving their horse and buggy down the road is also being "rude" because they are slowing up traffic behind them.
If the buggy could be out of the road, then yes, it would be rude. But it can't, so it's not. The cyclists can be out of the road, at least in this scenario