View Single Post
Old 07-04-11, 10:29 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
The Technium is apparently gone. The link doesn't work.

I had a Technium and it was a very nice bike. Wish I still had it, but it had to go to make room.

Search this forum and you'll find lots of information. Is this going to be a daily rider, sounds like it. That might make a difference depending upon how many miles you intend to put on it.

Some vintage bikes are fun to tinker with and fun to ride casually, but not really practical to use as a daily rider. Like Bill said, I have updated some of my regular rides to STI. I wait until I find deals on STI brifters, etc. and then convert. I have a Schwinn Tempo (awesome bike) that is going to be getting a new wheelset and 8 speed STI shifters pretty soon. I'm using wheels and cassette off of a Specialized Allez Steel bike that I bought in new condition. I found NOS 8 speed brifters for $75.00 and the downtube cable stops, cables, new housing, etc. put me back about $30.00. So for not too much dough, I'll have a great daily rider that will keep up with most anything you can buy for $800 or less.

Don't underestimate the '80s Schwinns. A lot of them are very light and very nice riders.

Feel free to run any deals by us. We're happy to give an opinion. Be aware that we all have our individual likes and dislikes and aren't shy about expressing them!

Good luck!