View Single Post
Old 07-05-11, 10:39 AM
PatW

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
You get what you pay for.

My wife is getting back into cycling. She bought a top level treck with Dura Ace and carbon fiber wheels. She has 1000 miles on it and she got it in April. Not too shabby.

Saturdays, she does 25 on the trails and I ride with a fast group for 50. On Sundays, we do a more "relaxed" ride together for 50. I like that, we whilst cycling and rode centuries together.

This Saturday she came home with a flat. So I go out and look at the tire and she had worn a hole slap through the thing. She said, "But I only have 1000 miles on it". I said, "Yeah, but it is a high priced tire, which means it does not have any tread to make it light. It won't wear long.".

The bike had a little noise issue that she wanted checked out so we took it to the shop. The mechanic (an estimable young man) said the same thing. People only get 900 miles on the high priced tires. To get better mileage, they have to do what I do and buy cheap $%*# tires.

So as I said, you get what you pay for. Otherwise, her bike is a dream. I like it because we are riding together again. It is worth every penny.

By the way, she is now riding much more moderately priced tires.