Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1326 Post(s)
Liked 1,307 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by 55/Rad
Lots of good information here...thank you all for your responses. Here is how I handled it.

First, there is no way I can say with 100% certainty that the bearings were perfect when I shipped the wheels. I can only be 98% certain. Second, I dug up the Paypal record of the AUCTION and was reminded that the winner paid more for a set of used wheels than he would have for a new set - which are still available in shops. Both of these contributed to my willingness to work with the buyer.

I researched the cost of new cartridge bearings for this wheelset, which are relatively inexpensive. The hubs aren't anything unusual in terms of design so I offered to pay for both the bearings and the labor and I requested to pay the shop direct.

His response was one of surprise and gratitude which confirmed for me that he was being honest in the first place.

As for the bearings, the only thing I can think of is that some moisture got in there and the long sit mucked them up.

55/Rad
Yup.