View Single Post
Old 07-05-11, 08:20 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2495 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by CorpseTumor
Rode to school today, and yep the pain is back. I kinda figured out what you mean by "rise up" from the saddle easily. Its not exactly pain but rather chafing, im getting some new boxer briefs in this week, hopefully these dont rise up. Hopefully no more pain after that but im doubting it. I have no idea why i didn't raise my saddle back up earlier, the difference is night and day. Guess i just assumed it was cause i had not rode in a while. The biggest difference was the handlebars obviously felt lower, so maybe i have to raise them up for a more upright position.
If you have someone in your life you trust enough to be in intimate proximity with your junk have them help you measure your inseam. I suppose you could go and buy an expensive pair of slacks and have the measuring done by a professional but I'm thinking that's overkill. Multiply your inseam measurement by .883 and that is a good starting point for a decent saddle height. That is from the top of the saddle to the center of your crank bolt (bottom bracket). Not to the pedal. I like to feel like the pedals are almost right under me. Actually they aren't they are some distance out in front but when I stand up on them and sit down the seat is right there I don't have to scootch back to find it. I commute in proper cycling shorts, flat seams! No boxers, no briefs. You can get running shorts or cycling shorts without chamois padding. Mine are padded but I have unpadded ones as well. With your seat at the right height your handlebars should be at least an inch higher, maybe even two. Four inches and even more is quite common for cruiser type bikes so two isn't anything excessive.

H