View Single Post
Old 07-05-11, 10:24 PM
borobike
Dept. store bike bandit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I found my next upgrade. Went on a ride today and almost hit a dog. Some little yappy mop whose owner didn't have it on a leash (we have a leash law) and was at least 50 feet away, on a public roadway. Dog came charging at me from the front while I was going 20+ mph.

I've never really had to panic brake in an actual situation before today. I was on the hoods so I wasn't getting the best leverage possible, but I hauled back HARD on the levers, and while the bike did stop there was no lockup. In the intensity of the moment I felt like my brakes were seriously underpowered, the bike kept going and I almost hit the dog. Not that I would have felt particularly bad, because once I stopped the stupid thing kept barking at me and proceeded to bite my left foot, but since it was just a mop dog I couldn't even hardly feel it through my shoe but that could have just been a mix of anger and adrenaline. Anger because the owner didn't even bother saying a word to the dog during this whole encounter.

I really wish I'd just kicked the stupid thing, if it happens again I probably will. I was probably so shocked that the owner continued to not do anything about it that I just laid the hammer down and figured if it gets caught in my spokes, I won't lose any sleep over it. Well, aside from the damage to my wheel.

Either way, the braking performance really got me wondering what would have happened if that dog had been something that actually could have harmed me. With the single pivots and my tendency to ride on the hoods I have noticed that I really am forceful on the brakes most of the time, even during normal stopping. I just always figured that if the situation would call for it, I'd have extra squeezing power on reserve for wheel lockup and short stops. Not the case.

So today I bought a new set Tektro R736 dual pivot calipers on ebay for $37 a set, not a super deal considering my other finds but pretty decent considering they usually sell for $60 or so a set. But they should give me the better leverage that I need. These also include the quick releases for big tires (like my 32c's) which my current single pivots do not. Also come with a new set of brake pads but I will likely clean up and install my Kool-Stops and keep the Tektro pads as spares.

More later, should be done Friday or Saturday.