Old 07-06-11, 05:30 PM
Medic Zero

Bikes: Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mikepwagner
The picture makes things clear. I was sort of looking for something where I wouldn't have to bend the brackets.

I have looked around, and it looks like the Tubus racks have rotating rods to attach the front of the rack to the seat stays - it looks like I might be able to fabricate something like that (or buy some Tubus spare parts):

http://www.rei.com/product/768568/tu...700c-bike-rack

Did you modify the rear brake on your bike?

My bike has an odd U-shaped brake attached to the chain stays - right behind the crank.

Thanks,

Mike
I was sort of looking for something where I wouldn't have to bend the brackets.
The Jandd rack came with brackets that were already the right shape and are adjustable as to length and also IIRC the "splay" on them is adjustable too. I had zero problems mounting it. I don't recall having to bend anything.

Did you modify the rear brake on your bike?
Yes! Before I knew that those brakes are pretty powerful I went to a friend of mine who does a lot of motorcycle work out of his garage and sliced off the mounts down there and he welded on new posts on the rear triangle. It's nice having the clearance down there too, I don't do a whole lot of trail riding, but every now and then I do, and if you have to scrape over a log or something not having the brake right there is good. Some people will tell you that if that brake is dialed in it is quite strong though. Mine wasn't working well when I got the bike so I didn't get a chance to try it out properly.

Originally Posted by mikepwagner
Does anyone know how I would go about ordering those parts? Are they likely to be available on line?
Thanks,
Mike
A quick google image search for "Jannd rack hardware" turned up this:
http://www.bikebagshop.com/jandd-ext..._7c11681678102
I don't recall exactly how these mounted (there is directions online somewhere though), but be aware that they mount so that you get the splay you need if used on another rack. If you have a drill and the other rack has a deck (not tubular) you could tap it.

Last edited by Medic Zero; 07-06-11 at 05:47 PM.