View Single Post
Old 07-07-11, 03:23 PM
rushbikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Recurring Saddle Sores

15 years of serious riding and not a single saddle sore...until a week and a half ago. I was on a 110-mile ride when the sky opened up and it started to pour around mile 40. Now I've ridden 110+ miles in the past in the dry, and I've ridden in the wet plenty of times, but I've never ridden 70 miles in a soaking wet chamois before. And boy did it suck.

I got home and hopped in the shower only to experience a pain that can be described as road rash on a 3rd degree burn. My points of contact had been rubbed completely raw.

Three days off the saddle, constant bactine and neosporine, and I was certain I was on the road to a speedy recovery. Went on a couple 30ish mile rides and felt like I was back to normal. Then, yesterday, I got back from a 60-miler, hopped in the shower, and felt that familiar sting...

Fortunately it wasn't that bad this time, but it got me to wondering, is this being caused because there is new skin there that is more tender? Two saddle sores in two weeks. I'm a little afraid this will turn into a downward spiral. I guess standard saddle sore practices apply that have been posted several times here in BF, huh.