Old 07-08-11, 12:54 PM
mkadam68

Bikes: 2012 MotorHouse road bike. No. You can't get one.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Silas XIV
I believe my inseam is 32, but I'm not sure. When I buy jeans, they are normally 40-42 inch waist by 32, which I'm assuming is my inseam; right?
Your pants inseam will not be the same as a "true" inseam used for bike measurements.

What I meant by getting wheels done was just getting ones built from scratch. Which do you think is best? Handing them over a wheel and asking them to rebuild it, or asking them to build one from scratch?
Having them rebuild wheels will be financially cheaper. But, I think the better wheels would be brand new, from scratch. This way, the components (rim, spokes, etc), spoke diameter and lacing pattern, and any extras (i.e.: nipple or spoke washers) can be geared specifically to you and your conditions.

I know this is probably a stupid question, but whenever I even sit on my girlfriends mountain bike, the tires go flat. I'm sure that's normal, because aren't mtb tires inflated lower than road bike tires? Just wondering if I get on a road bike, if the tires will go flat at say 110PSI?
Apples & oranges. 110psi should be fine for you on a 25 wide tire. I ride a 23 tire, but pump it up to about 125psi. That's actually more than the tire's max (it's 116psi), but I like 'em a little harder and haven't had any problems.

What about a touring bike, over a road bike? I know they're practically the same, but I'm going to assume that a touring bike has a better frame than a road bike for someone my weight? I'm looking to get this bike as a fitness bike. I want to get to 220ish, then I'll purchase a high-end bike.
Either frame will not be an issue at your weight, whether "road" or "touring". (BTW, a touring bike is also a road bike. You might be referring to a "race" vs "touring" bike.) If you're after fitness, either will do.

Here's a summary of the differences between the two: a touring bike has slightly shallower angles, causing it to handle a bit differently. It's more like a great big Lincoln Continental, long, swooping turns, floats over small bumps, etc... It also has much easier gearing in anticipation of you carrying some heavy loaded racks and carrying them up hills. Traditional touring bikes are getting more rare at bike shops but can certainly be found (or ordered in).

A racing bike has more aggressive geometry. They're like a quick, nimble little sports car. It'll respond to your commands quickly & decisively. It sometimes feels like a harsher ride , especially compared to a touring bike, but over time, you can get used to it (unless you have physical issues). I myself have ridden my "racing" bike on rides over 130 miles without issue. It's light-weight as it's not intended to carry heavy rack loads, and will feel as if it's jumping with your pedal strokes. The gearing usually isn't as easy as a touring bike, but with "compact" cranksets and a big 28-tooth rear cog, they can come close.