2ndGen
CAADdict

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by hmai18
As you can probably tell by the size of my bike, I'm a small guy; 5'7" at ~130lb, give or take a few on either end. While I didn't get blown around, it definitely took more effort (both physical and mental) than usual to keep myself in a straight line. I'm sure I'd get used to it if I rode deep wheels more often, but I was more tired after this morning than I usually am with this ride/group.

The weight and depth of the clincher rim also meant that it took more effort than usual to get them up to speed and keep them spinning than I'm used to with my shallow C24s, which is why I'd go tubular if I ever decide to get my own pair.
I didn't want to gain weight for what I was willing to spend right now on carbon clinchers,
but wanted as deep as I could get. I currently have Ksyrium Elites on my CAAD9 (1550g).

I definitely didn't want to add weight to my bike with the wheelset after I struggled to get it to the 15lb range. The original set I was going to purchase came in at 1480g, but for an additional 50g, I got a build that would handle my weight (200+lbs) much better. Small price to pay IMO. In the end, I managed to get 58's in a lighter package than my Ksyriums (when they arrive).

On my next bike, I will be going for a set of bling 58's (1200g Enves or Mavics on in my crosshairs so far). But, that's when I've actually accomplished something in my life (they'll be a reward to myself).

Last edited by 2ndGen; 07-09-11 at 10:42 AM.