Old 07-11-11, 10:37 AM
volosong

Bikes: n + 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
while riding, a lady cager went ballistic and challenged me to a fist fight

On Saturday, to avoid using the signaled left turn lane at a busy intersection, my lady and I turned early into a shopping center and cut through the parking lot. Some car came screeching through the parking lot, coming too close for comfort. A little perturbed, it was easy enough to put on a burst of speed and catch up to her at the parking lot exit.

I tapped on her passenger window and said, (in effect), "Hey, slow down in a parking lot. You almost hit us." To shorten the story ... she went ballistic and among her ranting about having a child in the car, (no way was I going to look inside), she said if I tapped on her window one more time, "I'm going to come around and take you on". I found that slightly funny as I'm 6'3" tall and weigh 205 pounds and she was a pretty slight thing.

As to not escalate the situation, we left, rode across the street, and continued toward the post office down the street to drop off a package. She caught up to us, swerved in front, like she wanted to hit us, (not close, but the intent was obvious), and turned right at the next intersection. I let her go, but when she saw we were not going down that street, she turned around and came back to the main drag we were on. By that time, we entered the post office parking lot and she drove "angrily" past, honking her horn and letting everyone in the parking lot know that she was not a happy camper.

Sheech! Maybe she was on something? I was this close, (envision holding up my hand with my thumb and index finger about a millimeter apart), from calling 911 and reporting a "crazy woman" driver that is trying to run us over. Oh, she threatened to call the police also, and I told her to go ahead and do so, (she didn't).

Ride careful, fellow cyclist. We were not in any real danger, but I'm going to "protect" my lady when we are riding. We all need to be aware that we are no match against 3,000 pound "weapons" directed toward us.

(Note to self ... carry a pen next time I ride so I can write down license plate numbers.)

Last edited by volosong; 07-11-11 at 02:05 PM. Reason: correct typo