View Single Post
Old 07-11-11, 06:20 PM
sunstorm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
no1mad - my preference for trek is really more a logistics issue. I actively dislike Schwinn and the local shop that sells schwinn's has horrible customer service (they can't be bothered to even speak to a customer if they can avoid it.) The Giant shop that is nearby isn't carrying much (acts more as a repair shop) and is difficult to get to, which leaves the trek shop. I'd be willing to consider other bikes, but I think my other close options are REI and other multisport stores. I'm sure there are other bikes stores in driving distance, but the reality is if I needed to get my bike to them, it would be weeks before I could manage it (during the semester I rarely go any farther than 20 minutes from my house by car.) Having said that, I've only had to get help with my bike a few times, and generally that was lack of any knowledge on my part. I have looked at the bikes at REI, but never got a good feel for them. I don't actually know if I like the MTB....it's just what I can 'rent' to try to kill myself on the local biking trails (not claiming any knowledge or skill, just the joy of sheer stupidity and the realization that I can catch air and not kill myself!) I'm concerned that I would have even less knowledge getting a used MTB, where with a shop I can at least return it. Looking through Craigslist and back researching some of the bikes has shown me a lot of the bikes are running 5-6x what folks on here recommend paying for the same make/model in pristine condition and I don't have the knowledge to know if what I'm getting is going to need lots of fixes. The few folks I know that commute bike to school (professors and clinicians mostly) are road bike folks that are also competing. I do have suspension fork, it can't be locked out.

phughes - I understand what you are saying. the seat is as high as it can go. the guys at the shop say I need a bigger bike (19' instead of a 15'.) I can make it up this hill with my roommate's bike (17' schwinn hybrid) with everything I need for classes and clinics (it also has racks and fenders); it isn't easy for me, but I'm also not having to walk it. I asked about a variety of thing, including weight and build (WSD) but I guess asking about weight was a mistake and it sounds like the variations in configuration and size don't matter much. As I noted, one of the issues I am having is I can't stand on this bike to really slog up this hill (I can't stay balanced standing more than 2-3 rotations, even on flats, which seems to be a major difference.) I wish I hadn't mentioned weight...might have been easier for folks to make other suggestions on how to handle this hill and/or bike selection.

took the bike out to get groceries earlier, trying to figure out why I can't hack it. Maybe I'll try replacing the tires. just a bit concerned I might be tossing money out there that won't improve the ride