Old 07-12-11, 04:44 PM
Altair 4

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 157 Posts
Rain on Tour - Bike Maintenance - What Should I Have Done?

I was on the Great Allegheny Passage last week for three days from Pittsburgh to Cumberland. Two of the three days were rain, including one day of 6 hours of straight rain. On top of that, one night my bike was put away wet in a damp garage and the other it was outside on a porch. Bottomline, the bike was wet for almost 48 hours. Despite stopping to get my chain lubed, it became noisy and rusty after 2 hours of riding in the sun.

Since this was my first overnight tour and definitely a learning experience, I'm looking for expert advice on what I should have done to better protect my ride, especially the chain and drivetrain. All suggestions and comments gratefully accepted!

At this point, I'm considering just replacing the chain and having a SRAM PowerLink installed.

The ride was fun, but the rain really put a damper on things and slowed me down. Not to mention the aggressive, abrasive nature of the limestone grit on the brake pads and wheel rims.

Worst of all, I didn't get as many photos as I would have liked, since my camera wasn't weather-proof! But that last day, in full sunshine, on the long drop from the Continental Divide to Cumberland was made it all worthwhile....