Old 07-12-11, 07:06 PM
Lexi01

Bikes: Cannondale Supersix Hi-Mod / Scott Spark 930 / Scott Sportster 20 / Jamis Allegro 2.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dolanp
If I were serious about buying it I'd bring a tube and change it out so I could ride it. It's worth the $5 or so to possibly save yourself from buying a lemon.
Yep. Seems strange to me that someone who has a bike (and wants to sell it) hasn't even patched the flat (5 min job). Could have been subject to constant flats? Could be just the rim tape, the real issue could have nothing to do with the wheels, who knows...the point is YOU don't know.

I'd give him a call and ask if he would mind if you changed the tube and took it for a ride? If he says "ahhh...I lost my pump in the move too" you'll have a pretty good reason to give it a miss.

Also its true you can test the brakes and gear shifting without a test ride (sort of)...but is a different kettle of fish when you test these things under weight. I test rode a second had mountain bike once that had contaminated pads...sounded fine when I just walked the bike and applied the brakes...but gee wiz did it squeel when I actually got on a rode it. The guy had actually told me beforehand they were contaminated...but I think it shows what can/could happen in your case.

Last edited by Lexi01; 07-12-11 at 07:12 PM.