Old 07-13-11, 12:02 PM
myrridin
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Commando303
I'll not fight you to produce textual evidence to back up this idea of the way the "world once was" that you seem to be confidently pushing; I'll say simply it's irrelevant to me what not only your perception, but the reality, of society's history in the vein may be. One does not earn respect — one should not be allowed to receive respect — by naked virtue of a trait over which one has no more power to dismiss than one had to acquire, be that trait age, race, creed, or some other.

As I said, none of this is meant to intimate my agreement with (or opposition to) the original poster's actions in the scenario he presented. I don't much care to comment further, either way, on the instance than I already might have.

Your idea that "children" should respect "elders," however, as you're using it, is ridiculous. "Respect" is not tantamount to silence or cowardice, and if someone has acted to deserve what may be termed a crude or unrefined reply, his or her years must not be magically considered in deciding whether to deal such treatment.

That you would even suggest the need for "evidence" that the world once expected children to "respect their elders" is telling in a number of ways. One it says a lot about your age, upbringing (which sadly is common among your age group), and society in general.

Respect is neither something earned or required. It is something that is part of civilized and polite behavior. Here are a few others you may never have been taught.. You don't discuss politics in polite conversations. You don't ask a women her age. You don't brag about your wealth (or poverty). You don't tell someone they are ugly, fat, old, etc... For the young and uncouth among you it is called being polite. Doing any of the above (or cursing at a polite stranger) simply shows the lack of character of the person committing the rudeness...

And no matter what offense you seem to find in the concept, we are talking a very simple situation... A person (who happens to be older and presumably wiser) politely informs the child in question that what they were doing was illegal. The child responds with a disrespectful curse in return. The first person behaved reasonably and politely as described by the OP. The OP's behavior is impolite, immature, and contemptuous--all very telling of the way he was raised and how he currently chooses to live his life.

A polite contact from a stranger is never an excuse for impolite behavior. And when someone (anyone but certainly someone older) politely tries to tell you something, it is a good idea to listen. You may, or may not agree, but on the off chance that they could be right, listening is a good idea. It is also not a burden. I tell you this because given your reaction, you have never been instructed in how to behave in a polite society. Bless your heart!