Old 07-13-11, 03:17 PM
Greg_R

Bikes: Surly LHT set up for commuting

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Splice
A frame is a frame personally I don't think spending an extra 2,000 dollars is worth saving 5-7 pounds if I wanted to do that I'd be 10 pounds lighter than I am.
You need to finalize your frame geometry. Are you looking for a race bike or a comfortable road bike? A bike that is ideal for sprinting is not the same one that would be ideal for long distance riding. Note that "long distance" = centuries or randos. With sprints, a lighter bike is definitely going to be noticeable because you need to accelerate less mass. For long distance riding on flat roads the weight doesn't matter. For uphill climbing the weight is noticeable. If you are competing in sprints then a few extra hundred dollars spent will trim off a lot of weight (i.e. get Shimano 105 level components w. a light weight bike build). All my comments below are assuming long-distance riding (i.e. weight not a major issue).

What makes an Ultegra better than a Sora, they both shift gears and don't effect speed or comfort, does one jump gears or something because with proper maintenance I'm pretty sure a Sora would be great.
Correct, for most people -anything- by Shimano or SRAM is going to work well. Additional $$$ gives you some gains in durability (15k miles versus 10k, etc.) and a reduction in weight. There is also a slight performance gain with the better systems when it comes to shifting but it would only be a factor to elite racers. Note that durability requires you to take excellent care of the bike... you can burn through a chain in < 1k miles and then trash the cassette if you don't keep it clean.

How about cranks? What difference is a $1000 crank going to make over a $100 crank 20 grams (1/23 of a pound) and a nicer appearance?
I'm not sure where you're finding a $1k crank unless it has a power meter inside it. Cheap Shimano or SRAM is fine here and even some lower market brands.

For a -new- bike with bottom end Shimano or SRAM components you are typically looking at $500-$600 in a bike shop. Now you've already stated you're going to use clipless pedals, shoes, and get new tires (not sure why?). Figure another $150 or so for those items (new). If you don't own a patch kit, spare tube, pump, helmet, etc., etc. then plan on spending more money. This is why other posters aren't being overly helpful... you are asking for the impossible (great new sprint bike + clipless + new tires for $500).

Now, some of your links point to online stores. There is nothing wrong with that as long as you are a knowledgeable mechanic (i.e. can assemble or check the assembly) & you know what size bike you need. Note that sizing varies based on brand so you ideally need to try that model before buying.