Faster but still slow

Bikes: Trek 830 circa 1993 and a Fuji WSD Finest 1.0 2006

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bcubed
Uh, possibly that women are:

1) Physically weaker (as a rule) than men?
2) Have less experience in a fistfight?
3) Due (possibly) to lower testosterone levels, don't respond to physical threats by thinking, "Oh, goody, a chance to prove how macho I am"?
You forgot #4: ****

I have had situations riding my bike where I was followed by some creepy men. In some cases, they pass me first, only to turn around and drive by slowly giving me a lecherous look. Other times they stop and ask if I need help(while I am obviously just stopped at a traffic light), but then look me up and down and linger way too long.

**** is unfortunately all too common. Either a woman has already been ***** once, almost ***** but got away, or knows friends who have. If I am alone on a bike and some weirdo comes up to me in a car, I am screwed.

Now really guys, how often on a bike ride do you fear that you will be visciously attacked and sexually violated? I am guessing never.

I am certainly not paranoid nor am I a wimp. I own a shotgun and know how to use it. I ride hundreds of miles a week, alone. But, it can be quite disconcerting for most women to do what I do every day.

And add to that, that I have to look at a powder blue bike, when really I would have loved to have some sort of orange or red and black beast instead just adds insult to injury. Powdercoat? Really, that is the solution. I am supposed to buy a bike which is ugly, but have to get the pink/powder blue monstrosity anyway because the don't make nice looking bikes in the size and geometry that I need, then on top of the expense of the bike I need to strip all of the components, and send it out to get repainted for an added cost of $200. Then I need to reinstall of the components, and readjust everything. When you boys just have to go into any bike shop, test ride any number of bikes and ride out with one the same day.

I had to "test ride" a bike that was 6cm larger than I need. I couldn't even reach the freakin pedals. The salesperson(my brother by the way) had to have me do the test ride on a trainer so I wouldn't crash it because I cound't reach the pedals or touch the ground because of the stand over height.

so, here are your reasons that probably apply to most women

1. Fear of traffic
2. Fearful of a lack of personal safety
3. Harassment from drivers(beer cans tossed, rocks, vile comments)
4. Too damn busy working, taking care of the home and kids
5. Can't fix a flat and don't care to learn/have no one to teach them
6. Bikes can't be test ridden because our sizes are never in stock
7. Bikes are too freakin ugly, insultingly childish. It isn't just about vanity, it is just plain degrading to ride something so childish and stereotypically feminine. It is tantamount to a men's bike having dump truck stickers and buzz lightyear decals. Would a grown man really ride something like that?
8. Won't commute because we need too many accesories. Just too much trouble.
9. Won't commute because we refuse to enter the building looking like a sweaty disheveled mess. Maybe guys can get away with that, but we can't. The deck is already stacked against us at work as it is.