Old 07-14-11, 01:36 PM
Mithrandir

Bikes: 2012 Surly LHT, 1995 GT Outpost Trail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sunstorm
So Skye, when guys pull over to harass you (I'm assuming you are male), are you at all concerned that part of thier intent is to drag you in their vehicle and abduct you, with all the possibiities that might occur with that? I may be naive, but in 1998 one of my high school friends was ***** and murdered on a bike commute from college classes to her job. It was a 'rural' road and the guy parked his van across the road, blocking the route at a location where the other option was to back track 4 miles or traverse a ravine, then acted as if he was having a medical emergency (and video recorded the whole thing, which is what signed his death row ticket). I realize it is a rarity, but when the rarity becomes the reality in your own life.... I don't know about you, but it affects how I percieve such an action. Doesn't stop me from riding, but it does mean I do take precautions, and sometimes those precautions include NOT riding.
Not to diminish the concerns you have over sexual assault, but I would wager it is just as if not more likely that someone would assault a male (or female) to get access to any cash/wallet they are carrying with them on their bike.